The Stonewall uprising was a series of violent demonstrations by members of the LGBTQ+ community against police who had raided the Stonewall Inn – one of the few LGBTQ+-friendly bars in the city at the time – in Manhattan, New York City in June 1969. The uprising proved to be a monumental catalyst for the gay liberation movement, and is widely considered to be one of the most important events in the fight for LGBTQ+ rights in the USA and around the world.
New York City is commemorating the 50th anniversary of the Stonewall uprising this year by illuminating the city skyline in rainbow throughout the month of June. Iconic buildings like One World Trade Centre, the Empire State Building, Madison Square Garden and more will feature breathtaking LGBTQ+-inspired projections and lights until the end of the month.
The city is also hosting WorldPride this year, with a series of special events, performances and parties taking place from 26-30 June.
“New York City is the birthplace of the modern LGBTQ rights movement and has played a significant role in the progress the global movement has made. This month our City will host WorldPride to commemorate the 50th Anniversary of the Stonewall uprising. Lighting our skyline will remind LGBTQ people around the world that New York City will always be a beacon of hope and a place to call home,” said Mayor Bill de Blasio.
The 18 locations around New York City that will light and up and the projected dates include:
- Barclays Center: 24-26 June; 29-30 June
- Bloomberg Headquarters: 30 June
- The Bronx Borough President’s Office: 25–30 June
- City Hall: 10- 30 June
- Coney Island Parachute Jump in cooperation with Luna Park NYC: 26–30 June
- Empire Outlets: Every evening through 30 June
- Empire State Building: 30 June
- Helmsley Building: 24–30 June
- Hutchinson Metro Center: Every evening through 30 June
- Javits Center’s Crystal Palace: 26–30 June
- Madison Square Garden: 30 June
- One Bryant Park: 28–30 June
- One World Trade Centre: Base, 26–30 June; Spire, 28–30 June
- 151 West 42: 28–30 June
- Pershing Square-42nd Street Viaduct (Grand Central Partnership & MTA Metro-North): 26–30 June
- Pier 17: 26–30 June
- Resorts World Casino New York City: 30 June
- Weylin, together with Brooktech: 26–30 June