An exhibition celebrating British fashion designer Dame Mary Quant has arrived in Bendigo, Victoria.
Exclusive to the Bendigo Art Gallery, the highly anticipated Mary Quant: Fashion Revolutionary exhibition launched in March and runs until 11 July 2021.
Mary Quant was known for spearheading the British fashion revolution. She challenged conventions and embraced mass production techniques to bring affordable high fashion to the middle class.
With her bright and rebellious designs, she popularised the miniskirt, colourful tights and tailored trousers – encouraging a new age of feminism.
The exhibition comes directly from a sell-out season at London’s revered V&A (Victoria & Albert) Museum.
It offers a visual timeline of Quant’s work and simultaneously, the women’s liberation movement, by exploring her influence on fashion between the years 1955 and 1975.
Better yet, the exhibition will extend beyond the walls of Bendigo Art Gallery and into the streets of the city and surrounding regional towns.
Restaurants, cafes, shopping strips and streetscapes will all be embracing the theme of Mary Quant.
Fashion enthusiasts should keep their eye out for large Quant inspired murals installed across the city, Mary Quant-themed daisy flower planter boxes, swinging street art and fashion trails and ‘Swinging Sixties’ exhibitions.
Locals can even enjoy Quant-inspired food including Mary Quantsants (croissants) and Quantails (cocktails), 60s-inspired dishes at restaurants, and high teas.
With the region recently named as a UNESCO City of Gastronomy for its leading food and drink experiences, you can guarantee there will be some Instagram worthy Quant inspired food and beverages on offer.
Where to celebrate Mary Quant in Bendigo
- Blue Bird Patisserie: offering Mary Quantsants (themed croissants)
- The Dispensary and the Gallery Café: enjoy Mary Quantails (themed cocktails)
- Harvest: Mod Mess dessert at the award-winning View Street restaurant
- Star Cinema: watch 60s movies screened at the historic venue in Eaglehawk
- The Woodhouse: the award-winning restaurant has created a 60s inspired dessert
- Bendigo Pottery: visitors can paint their own Mary Quant daisy-inspired plate
- Inglewood: Mary Quant-themed window displays for vintage and fashion enthusiasts to explore
- Rosalind Park Piazza: take a photo beside one of the Mary Quant-inspired murals
Where to stay in Bendigo
To entice visitors to celebrate the iconic Mary Quant, as well as everything the region has to offer, participating accommodation partners have launched a selection of special offers.
For a limited time only, you can find deals at the following venues:
- Quality Lakeside Hotel
- Mark and Kate’s Place
- Quest Bendigo
- Quest Bendigo Central
- Mercure Bendigo Schaller
- Barclay on View
- Hotel Shamrock
*Individual accommodation terms and conditions apply.
With so much to do and see within the Bendigo region these coming months, there is no better time to book a weekend in Central Victoria.