NSW Health Minister Brad Hazzard has cancelled the Byron Bay Bluesfest.
The music festival was due to start on Thursday.
“NSW Health advices that the minister for Health has signed a public health order cancelling the planned Bluesfest over the Easter period,” NSW Health said in a statement.
“This action is being taken to minimise the risk of the highly infectious COVID-19 variant being transmitted in the local area, as well as across state’s and territories.”
The cancellation comes after infectious Queenslanders attended a number of venues in Byron Bay. On Wednesday one new locally aquired case was reported. The case was infected at one of these venues.
“NSW Health acknowledges that thie cancellation of Bluesfest is dissapointing for ticketholders and event organisers, however while urgent investigations and contact tracing are ongoing, NSW Health is adopting a cautious approach to keep everyone safe,” NSW Health said.
Minister Hazzard said he hoped that ticketholders would support Bluefest and hold onto their tickets as the festival organisers were working to find a new date.
Earlier on Wednesday, Bluesfest tweeted that they were attempting to work through the issues.